Sunday, June 01, 2008

Back To Normal

Whew, it's quiet here tonight after the last 3 weeks.
Yesterday everyone was up fairly early. I made breakfast, pancakes for the munchkins and me and then we hung around the house while Jen ran some last minute errands. It was noon before the van was packed with toys and kids and ready to roll down to Indiana to visit the other set of grandparents. I took off about the same time they did and headed up to Metric Motorsports to have the idle on the bike looked at. That took all of 2 minutes for the guy to show me where it was and how to adjust it and then I was on my way back home again.
I just hung out around the house for the afternoon and then about 5 me and the wife decided to go to Texas Roadhouse for a nice dinner. We got there at the right time and didn't have to wait for a seat. We had excellent steaks with all the trimmings and stuffed ourselves. Once we got back home I decided to take a bike ride. The weather the first half of the day had been crummy but during the afternoon it cleared up nicely so I pushed the bike outa the garage and headed down lakeshore drive towards Holland. I decided to stop at the used CD store and spent awhile there rummaging thru the bins until I found a couple things to bring home. I got back home just about sunset and decided to finish off the day with a cruise in the '56. Bailey rode shotgun.
Today I got up early and headed up towards north Muskegon to do a car show at Northway Lanes as part of their East side summer spectacular. I parked next to an older gentleman with a 1923 Durant. He was friendly and we spent most of the day shooting the breeze. We both partook in the Lions all you can eat pancake breakfast but they were the kind of pancakes that soak up a half bottle of syrup so my one helping of 3 was enough.
Along with being befriended by Ken Vandenbrink one other thing to happen was running into Tony Meyers and his wife Dotty. They've been out in Arizona for the past 7 / 8 years but this year decided to come back here for the summer. they've been doing the ice cream wagon thing at carivals and art shows etc and having a good time doing it. They'd just sold the Ice cream wagon to a relative and went into the business of making and selling Kettle Corn. Really fluffy, sweetened popcorn. I noticed him from the car and hiked over to say howdy. It was a pleasant surprise to see the two of them after all this time.....we shot the breeze on and off during the day and got caught up on what's been going on in the last decade or so. I'm hoping we'll get another chance to hang out before they head back to Arizona in the fall.
The last surprise for the day happened during the awards ceremony for the show. I had chosen to be in the Street Rod - Sedan class for this show and lo and behold I got a nice 3rd place trophy for showing up. Second place was the green and silver rod and the 1st place winner was the purple sedan. After all the awards were given out I went over and said goodbye to Tony and Dotty and then fired up the hot rod and headed down the highway for home. I got there just about the time Wanda was leaving for Bingo.
After having my leftovers from Texas Roadhouse for dinner I decided to take Mercury and Bailey down to the state park for a walk on the pier on a nice blue sky day in June. We spent a little while sitting out on the end before coming back home and calling it a day.
No big plans for this week. Gonna try to do some time cleaning up the garage. The weatherman says it's gonna be warm and wet alot of the time so we'll have to play it by ear. Dave Palmers music party is this coming Saturday and I'm torn between going there or heading up to camp for the weekend. Guess we'll see how I feel come Friday. Until then I'm signing off.

TC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home