Saturday, March 01, 2008

We've leapt into March

I was going to write somethng cute yesterday as it was the 29th day of February, the day that gets added every year to the shortest month of the year, but I nodded off before I could realize my plan. So you're going to have to suffer thru it a day late.
I don't know who's idea it was to add that bonus day to the end of February, but it had to be a mean spirited desk jockey in some govermental agency somewhere because any organization with more than a small amount of common sense would've added that day to the end of June. I mean, cmon....both July and August have 31 days so why not give June a chance at 31 days at least once every 4 years. I'd have to believe that unless you're a polar bear an added day in June to lay on the beach and swim in the lake would be a whole lot more enjoyable than another cold miserable day in February where the main form of entertainment would be to shovel the driveway, again......
Not much has happened out of the ordinary the last 3 weeks, hence the lack of an entry. The biggest news I guess is something I'd rather not talk about at the moment and I'm deferring to the old adage, some things are better left unsaid. Other that that I believe that we set some kind of record this year for the most snow ever in February. I'm not sure I got that entirely right but it wouldn't surprise me. I sure had to shovel enough of the damn stuff the last 4 weeks. Just to be fair though I have to admit that there were a couple evenings there, when I was outside, later in the evening, and the sky was clear, Full of stars and the air was cold and crisp and it felt good breathing it in and out again. Of course once you get to be 55 or so just breathing in and out feels good, even more so if you've gone thru what I went thru back in November. Coming to grips with your own mortality can really make a person sit up and take notice.
I dont have any cute jokes or videos this time to share and it's hard to drag myself out in this weather to shoot pictures so you're stuck with just text this time. Not much else to report either. Work is going good for the most part. I went in this morning for awhile to get a couple things done. We're busy right now with new work which is a good place to be in this shitty economic time. Just found out today that the city is going to rip up our road starting in April to put in new sewers, curbs, the whole nine yards. I'm going to the meeting at City Hall later this month to put in my two cents for fixing the Hopkins street curbs that I wanted fixed 20 years ago when the kids were little and couldn't ride their bikes down the sidewalk without falling off the curb. Of course as soon as they finish this project the property tax assessment will likely go up but I'll be down there to fight any increase next time because of the fact they're assessment is about 30,000 bucks over what realtors have told us it's worth. If I've got to get a bank to come out and do an official look over then I will. The money that'll cost will be returned by what I won't have to give to the city in property tax. We'll see how that one goes.
Daylight savings time starts in a week or two nowadays and I just don't think that's right. Hell, the world is still covered in 2 feet of snow and it ain't even officially Spring for 3 weeks yet. Another stupid bureaucrat came up with the idea to move the date up from the first weekend in April and for the life of me I don't know why, farmers aren't out plowing their fields this early in the season, who benefits from the change?.....damn people just can't leave well enough alone.
Anyhow, that's about it for now.....time for a nap before breakfast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home