Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Car Shows and Campfires

Well, it's that time of year again and the weekends are gonna be flying by for the next several months. This past one was no exception to the rule either. I spent most of Friday evening spiffing up the hot rod for the first car show of the season The west Michigan Burn Survivors Car show at 5/3 Ballpark in Grand Rapids. http://www.burnsurvivorcarshow.com/



The weather was a bit on the iffy side when we got up (early) Saturday morning, but after waiting all winter to get back out there again I decided staying home was not an acceptable choice and headed off to G.R. I pulled in and registered as car #76. By the end of the day there were a tad bit over 500 registered cars for the event. It wasn't long after I got parked and got things situated that the sun broke thru the clouds and it got downright nice outside. I did what I usually do at car shows, got the camera out of the bag and proceeded to wander the parking lot, shooting pics as I strolled around.




I ran into Ron and spent a little time talking with him about what's been going on since I saw him last, last fall at Jeannies. Turns out he'd been thru a couple jobs, a couple moves and was now back in Holland again, trying to work things out with the x-wife. So, just more proof, not that I needed it, that the road is bumpy for alot of folks. He's trying to get the Sunday evening Steak and Shake cruise-ins going again, now that there is no more Jeannies, and I'll probaby take a cruise down there some Sunday evening and pay a visit.






The time just pretty much zoomed by and before I knew it, it was time for awards. I packed the display stuff up at that point and then went over to see who won what...When the last name was announced I was just getting ready to put the key in the ignition and fire the beast up. We were back home a bit before 4:00 and immediately set about throwing stuff in the pickup for a trip up to the campsite for the remainder of the weekend.

Chris decided to go along so Mercury was the only dog that got to go along this trip. We arrived at the campsite about 6:30 and I set about making dinner. It had been getting cloudy during the drive up and once we arrived it started to get quite dark in the northern sky and started to spit some rain as we ate supper. It never really rained all that much though and wasn’t really an issue. I took Merc out for a walk after eating and by the time we got back it was pretty much dark. The rest of the evening was spent pretty much in chairs around the campfire. We both nodded off to sleep at some point and I woke up just before midnight and decided it was time for bed. I woke up Chris who was sprawled out in the love seat chair and we headed for the camper.


Sunday morning I was up at 6:30, too early for teenagers to be up yet so me and Merc went out for a morning walk. It was cool and cloudy but at least not wet. During our hike we scared up several deer. Other than that didn't see much in the way of life. When we got back to the camper I decided it was time for breakfast so I mixed up some pancake batter, cooked up some sasages and made some scrambled eggs for the kid.







After eating it was time to work so we cranked up the chain saw and disposed of the stack of logs we had piled up over the last couple weeks. That took us a cou;le hours just to do that.....We also finished burying the wire for the landing strip lights. The big project for the weekend though was the Skids that we brought up with us that were going to become the new deck off the camper. We unloaded them and put them in place temporarily until next weekend when I get them leveled, bolted together and cleaned up. Gonna water seal 'em too like I did with the outhouse. The big joke is now that these skids came to Dake from Italy so we're calling the deck our genuine Imported Italian wood deck! :-) Goes good with the Flushing Amish Outhouse. Lord knows what's next.



By the time it got to be 4:00pm we decided we were tired, hungry and done for the day so we packed up, locked up and headed for home.

This weekend coming up already is Memorial day so we have an extra day to burn. The plan is to go up Friday night and come back home Monday afternoon. We'll see how the weather acts but that's the plan at the moment. Time to call it a day right now, I'm beat.

TC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home