Thursday, October 19, 2006

Another Dream Bites the Dust

"Wintertime is a Razor Blade,
that the Devil made...
It's the price we've paid for the Summertime"
Joe Walsh - Collage / 1969
I know it might be a bit early in the season for that quote, but it's already snowed and supposedly more is on the way so I think it's appropriate for right now. It's been an exceptionally crappy month, weather and otherwise and even though we've got some month left it don't look like there's gonna be any relief on any front, anytime soon. We've had something like 21% sunshine for the month and unseasonably cold temps, even for this time of year. It don't do any good to bitch about it I know cuz it's gonna be what it's gonna be, but I'd sure love of another week's worth of July right about now.....the ole S.A.D. is really kickin' in this week.
Well, there's an empty stall in the garage tonight. The folks that were here several weeks ago to look at the wagon finally sent a guy with a truck and trailer over to pick her up and take her away. To say I had mixed emotions about the whole deal would be a fair statement I guess. The practical side of me knows that we need the money and that I just didn't have the time, resources or room to restore it to it's original glory. It sat in the garage all summer and I never picked up a wrench once. The not so practical side of me has wanted to restore a car all my life and I really thought when I brought the wagon home that now was the time. Obviously I was mistaken. The money I got for her will be gone long before the pain of admitting defeat has subsided. The practical side knows that I've still got a great looking '56 that needs attention and if I had money to spend on restoring a car I should spend the cash on it. I've also got the bike to take me places so I'm not without my toys, but still......the not so practical side of me was bummed to see her heading off down the road on a trailer to a new home. I guess I'll just have to tough it out and deal with the fact that it's just one more thing that I ain't gonna get accomplished in this life. Time to move on.
The whole experience this past year with trying to get the house fixed up to sell it and move out in the country and the realization that there just ain't much around here in the way of country to move to along with the fact that everything is so damn overpriced that even if we couldn've found a place to move to it would've required too much of a sacrafice in all the other areas of life really has left me pretty much permanently pissed off. It's been a dream of mine since I was a kid to have a big house out in the country with a barn and room to roam, but I guess at some point you've just gotta say screw it and wave the white flag. At my current age I've pretty much missed the boat for making any big changes in life without some type of divine intervention so I probably should just count my blessings and shut the hell up.
Time to get some sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home